Heartland volunteers offer support, companionship and practical, compassionate help. Some interact directly with patients and families. Others prefer to work behind the scenes in the office setting. As a volunteer, you help determine which tasks you’re best suited to perform. The tasks of volunteers include:
- Helping with office support tasks at the agency
- Running errands for patients and families
- Staying with patients so family members can get a much-needed rest
- Reading, or providing a comforting touch
- Playing or singing soothing music to patients
- Keeping vigil with patients in their final hours
- Providing a friendly visit to lift a patient's spirits
- Providing special veteran volunteer support to patients who are veterans
- These and other tasks are why hospice volunteers are such an essential part of the Heartland Experience.
* We suggest volunteers wait a minimum of one year following the death of a loved one to volunteer. This allows adequate time to make appropriate adjustments after a significant personal loss.