What Makes Us Different
- You don’t have to give up hope to get hospice. Many patients and the loved ones who care for them say they wish hospice care had started sooner.
- Treatments that provide our patients with comfort and relief may continue, uninterrupted, even after we’ve started providing hospice care.
- We don’t require that advance directive choices be made such as a “do not resuscitate” order (DNR) or living will to begin providing hospice care.
- When you need care, we’re ready to provide it. Any day of the year, any time of the day, we can initiate hospice care for you or your loved one.
- Our heart stretches across the nation. At any given time, Heartland provides comforting care to thousands of patients in communities and neighborhoods across the country.
- We’re fully accredited by Accreditation Commission for Health Care (ACHC). We’ve chosen to follow their additional requirements in order to help advance the highest standards of community-based care.
- Wherever you are in your health care journey, we’re there to meet you.
- As mutual care providers, we work closely with your health care professionals to make sure specific protocols are followed closely.
In Addition We Offer
- Pet Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Alternative Therapies
- We Honor Veterans
- Vigil Volunteers
- Memorial Services
- Art Therapy
- Massage Therapy
- Home IV Therapy for Comfort
- Specialized Home IV Therapy Program for Frail and Elderly Patients
Dr. James R. Richter - Medical Director
- Residency: Womack Army Community Hospital
- Medical School: Washington University, School of Medicine
- Medical Specialty: Family Medicine, Hospice and Palliative Care
- Practice or Clinic: Family Care of the Fox Cities
- Other Affiliations: American Academy of Family Practice, American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, National Board of Medical Examiners, Wisconsin Academy of Family Practice, State Medical Society of Wisconsin
Dr. James E. Thill - Team Physician
- Residency: City of Faith Medical and Research Center
- Medical School: Oral Roberts University, School of Medicine
- Practice or Clinic: Family Doctors of Marinette
- Other Affiliations: American Board of Family Members
Heartland Hospice Leadership
- Bonnie Leisgang - Senior Administrator
Heartland Hospice Care Team
- Patients and families
- Heartland’s Medical Director
- The patient’s physician
- Registered nurses
- Hospice aides
- Social worker
- Spiritual care coordinator
- Bereavement counselor
- Physical, occupational and speech/language therapists
The Heartland Experience means trying to exceed your expectations in every way. As part of our commitment to excellence, we measure the level of our service so that we can enrich the lives of our patients and the people who love them by delivering services that best meet their needs.
Partners in Care
Heartland Hospice collaborates with a variety of health care partners and organizations within our community to help improve access to high-quality care. Some of our Partners in Care include:
Other Health Care Providers
Every day, our hospice agencies receive recognition for the care they have provided to a patient or someone’s loved one. Many tell us they don't have the words to describe their appreciation and simply say "Thanks." Below are comments and letters from patients and family members sharing their gratitude.
“To all the staff at Heartland Hospice – Just wanted to say a big ‘Thank You’ to all the nurses, aides, social workers and chaplains who took care of our mom over the last few months. You all did such a wonderful job with her and I know she really appreciated it. I especially appreciate the help and support you gave us in our final days with her. It meant so much to me that I could take off my ‘nurse’s’ cap and just be a ‘daughter.’ We want to thank the nurse who was such a big help in managing her oxygen, medications and lift. A special ‘Thank You’ goes to thank the chaplains who were such a help to our family. We greatly appreciated that you came when we called and helped us through the final, difficult journey with our mom. Your faith and loving care certainly proves you are all in the right profession. You should all be so proud of the job you are doing! Thank you again.”
Daughter of a hospice patient, Green Bay, WI
"To everyone at Heartland Hospice that helped out in any way with my parents – we could not have been the caregivers we were without your help. We appreciate all the help and support that each and every one of you had given to us. I know mom and dad would also thank you for helping us out. Going to miss you all, the kind talks we had and all of the smiling faces. Keep up the great work!"
Daughter of hospice patients, Green Bay, WI
"To ALL at Heartland Hospice: Thank you so much for all the wonderful care you gave to our mom. We could reset easier knowing she had a little extra loving care. I will always remember the comfort felt when I would walk by her room and see a smile on her face when she was visiting with one of you. Thanks for helping so many with the amazing care you give!"
Daughter of a hospice patient, Green Bay, WI
"Thank you, Heartland Hospice, for the exceptional care you provided to Dad during the past months. Thank you for the kind thoughts, the expressions of sympathy and the prayers during this difficult time. We feel blessed to have gotten to know you. We’ll never forget your thoughtfulness!”
Family of a hospice patient, Green Bay, WI
At Heartland, we consider our involvement with patients a sacred opportunity and a privilege to be in their lives. We depend on our hospice volunteers to help us provide the love, respect and care our patients and their families need.
Our volunteers help enrich the lives of our patients by:
- Running errands for patients and families
- Staying with patients so family members can get a much-needed rest
- Reading or providing a comforting touch
- Playing or singing soothing music to patients
- Keeping vigil with patients in their final hours
- Helping with office support tasks at the agency
- Providing a friendly visit to lift a patient's spirits
- Providing special veteran volunteer support to patients who are veterans
To become a hospice volunteer, click here to download and complete the volunteer form on a desktop computer. Once completed, save and email the form to our Heartland staff (if you use Microsoft Outlook, please use this link instead). You may also print out the form and complete it by hand, then fax it to 920-336-6646 or mail it to our agency. We will contact you once the form has been received. If you have any questions, please call our agency.