What Makes Heartland Different
You don’t have to give up hope to get hospice
Many patients and the loved ones who care for them say they wish hospice care had started sooner.
Comforting treatments for patients can continue
Treatments that provide our patients with comfort and relief can continue, uninterrupted, even after we’ve started providing hospice care.
We don’t require advance directive choices
We don’t require that advance directive choices be made such as a “do not resuscitate” order (DNR) or living will to begin providing hospice care.
When you need care, we're ready to provide it
Any day of the year, any time of the day, we can initiate hospice care for you or your loved one.
Our heart stretches across the nation
At any given time, Heartland provides comforting care to thousands of patients in communities and neighborhoods across the country.
We’re fully accredited by ACHC
ACHC is the Accreditation Commission for Health Care. We’ve chosen to follow their additional requirements in order to help advance the highest standards of community-based care.
There to meet you on your journey
Wherever you are in your health care journey, we’re there to meet you.
We are mutual care providers
As mutual care providers, we work closely with your health care professionals to make sure specific protocols are followed closely.
Your Care Team
At Heartland, hospice care takes a team approach, one that incorporates the patient, their loved ones and other health care professionals.
The Heartland team may include:
- Patients and families
- Heartland Medical Director
- The patient's physician
- Nurse Practitioner
- Registered nurses
- Hospice aides
- Social worker
- Spiritual care coordinator
- Bereavement counselor
- Physical, occupational and speech/language therapists
Dr. James R. Richter—Medical Director
- Credentials: MD, FAAFP
- Started Practicing: 1987
- Residency: Family Practice, Womack Army Community Hospital
- Medical School: Washington University, School of Medicine
- Medical Specialty: Family Practice
- Practice or Clinic: Family Care of the Fox Cities
- Other Affiliations: American Academy of Family Practice, American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Wisconsin Academy of Family Practice, State Medical Society of Wisconsin
Dr. James E. Thill—Team Physician
- Credentials: MD
- Started Practicing: 1988
- Residency: Family Practice, City of Faith Medical and Research Center
- Medical School: Oral Roberts University, School of Medicine
- Medical Specialty: Family Practice
- Other Affiliations: American Academy of Family Physicians, American Board of Family Practice, Christian Medical and Dental Association, National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
Jessica Wirkus—Nurse Practitioner
- Credentials: WHNP, BC, APNP, ACHPN
- Started in Hospice: 2014
- Academic Degree, School: Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Edgewood College; Masters of Science in Nursing: Nurse Practitioner - University of Wisconsin Madison
- Medical Specialty: Women's Health, Oncology, Hospice and Palliative Care
- Other Affiliations: Passed certification in hospice and palliative care
Jamie DeWitt—Nurse Practitioner
- Credentials: RN, ARNP
- Started in Hospice: 2018
- Academic Degree, School: BSN - University of Wisconsin Oshkosh; Family Nurse Practitioner Degree - University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Leah O'Barski—Director of Professional Services
- Credentials: RN, CHPN, CHPCA
- Started in Hospice: 2009
- Academic Degree, School: Associates Degree - Lakeshore Technical College
- Other Affiliations: NHPCO, HPNA
Bonnie Leisgang—Senior Administrator
- Credentials: Licensed NHA
- Started in Hospice: 2003
- Academic Degree, School: Masters Certificate: Healthcare Leadership with a focus on employee relations - Cornell University; Master of Science: Management - University of Wisconsin Green Bay; Bachelors: Health Care Administration - University of Wisconsin Eau Claire
We Honor Veterans Program
Every day, Heartland has the distinct honor of providing hundreds of U.S. military veterans with hospice care. We take pride in thanking our veteran patients with special recognition throughout the year.Learn More
Partners In Care
Heartland Hospice collaborates with a variety of health care partners and organizations within our community to help improve access to high-quality care.
Community Partners in Care
Other Health Care Providers
The Heartland Experience means trying to exceed your expectations in every way. As part of our commitment to excellence, we measure the level of our service so that we can enrich the lives of our patients and the people who love them by delivering services that best meet their needs.