Heartland Hospice Serving Quad Cities
Counties Served: Rock Island (IL), Mercer (IL), Henry (IL), Whiteside (IL), Knox (IL), Scott (IA), Muscatine (IA), Johnson (IA), Jackson (IA), Cedar (IA), Clinton (IA)
What Makes Us Different
- You don’t have to give up hope to get hospice. Many patients and the loved ones who care for them say they wish hospice care had started sooner.
- Treatments that provide our patients with comfort and relief may continue, uninterrupted, even after we’ve started providing hospice care.
- We don’t require that advance directive choices be made such as a “do not resuscitate” order (DNR) or living will to begin providing hospice care.
- When you need care, we’re ready to provide it. Any day of the year, any time of the day, we can initiate hospice care for you or your loved one.
- Our heart stretches across the nation. At any given time, Heartland provides comforting care to thousands of patients in communities and neighborhoods across the country.
- We’re fully accredited by Accreditation Commission for Health Care (ACHC). We’ve chosen to follow their additional requirements in order to help advance the highest standards of community-based care.
- Wherever you are in your health care journey, we’re there to meet you.
- As mutual care providers, we work closely with your health care professionals to make sure specific protocols are followed closely.
In Addition We Offer
- Patient-focused care with patient/family maintaining control
- Referrals and admissions 24-hours a day, 7-days a week
- Encouragement for patients’ physician to be attending physician
- Heartland clinicians sent to the Emergency Department to meet patients who have gone to the hospital
- We Honor Veterans – Level 2
- Vigil Volunteers for patients at end-of-life
- Pet therapy
- Music therapy
- Massage therapy
- Memorial services
Dr. Emmanuel Nwumeh - Medical Director
- Credentials: MD
- Started Practicing: 1986
- Residency: Cook County Loyola Provident Residency Program
- Medical School: University of Nigeria
- Medical Specialty: Family Medicine
- Other Affiliations: UnityPoint Hospitals, Genesis Medical Center
Melissa Wingert - Director of Professional Services
- Credentials: RN
- Started in Hospice: 2012
- Academic Degree, School: Associate Degree in Nursing - Eastern Iowa Community College
Kimberly Thorp - Administrator
- Credentials: MPH
- Started in Hospice: 2015
- Academic Degree, School: Master's in Public Health/Hospital Administrator - University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Other Affiliations: American College of Healthcare Executives
Heartland Hospice Care Team
- Patients and families
- Heartland’s Medical Director
- The patient’s physician
- Registered nurses
- Hospice aides
- Social worker
- Spiritual care coordinator
- Bereavement counselor
- Physical, occupational and speech/language therapists
The Heartland Experience means trying to exceed your expectations in every way. As part of our commitment to excellence, we measure the level of our service so that we can enrich the lives of our patients and the people who love them by delivering services that best meet their needs.
Every day, our hospice agencies receive recognition for the care they have provided to a patient or someone’s loved one. Many tell us they don't have the words to describe their appreciation and simply say "Thanks." Below are comments and letters from patients and family members sharing their gratitude.
"Words cannot express the gratitude we feel for the tender loving care you showed our mom and entire family. We appreciate your honesty and guidance of helping us through the loss of our mom. There is a special place in heaven for people like you!"
Family members of a hospice patient, Davenport, IA
"Thanks to all of you who cared for Mom. I appreciate so much the time and efforts you all did to make her as comfortable as possible."
Daughter of a hospice patient, Davenport, IA
At Heartland, we consider our involvement with patients a sacred opportunity and a privilege to be in their lives. We depend on our hospice volunteers to help us provide the love, respect and care our patients and their families need.
Our volunteers help enrich the lives of our patients by:
- Running errands for patients and families
- Staying with patients so family members can get a much-needed rest
- Reading or providing a comforting touch
- Playing or singing soothing music to patients
- Keeping vigil with patients in their final hours
- Helping with office support tasks at the agency
- Providing a friendly visit to lift a patient's spirits
- Providing special veteran volunteer support to patients who are veterans
To become a hospice volunteer, click here to download and complete the volunteer form on a desktop computer. Once completed, save and email the form to our Heartland staff (if you use Microsoft Outlook, please use this link instead). You may also print out the form and complete it by hand, then fax it to 563-359-9092 or mail it to our agency. We will contact you once the form has been received. If you have any questions, please call our agency.
Join Our Team
Become a part of our team and join us on our mission to provide patient-centered care. Click on the link below for a list of current openings at this location. You can also register for our job alerts and get up-to-the minute notifications of positions as they become available.Join Our Team