What Makes Us Different
- You don’t have to give up hope to get hospice. Many patients and the loved ones who care for them say they wish hospice care had started sooner.
- Treatments that provide our patients with comfort and relief may continue, uninterrupted, even after we’ve started providing hospice care.
- We don’t require that advance directive choices be made such as a “do not resuscitate” order (DNR) or living will to begin providing hospice care.
- When you need care, we’re ready to provide it. Any day of the year, any time of the day, we can initiate hospice care for you or your loved one.
- Our heart stretches across the nation. At any given time, Heartland provides comforting care to thousands of patients in communities and neighborhoods across the country.
- We’re fully accredited by Accreditation Commission for Health Care (ACHC). We’ve chosen to follow their additional requirements in order to help advance the highest standards of community-based care.
- Wherever you are in your health care journey, we’re there to meet you.
- As mutual care providers, we work closely with your health care professionals to make sure specific protocols are followed closely.
In Addition We Offer
- Patient-focused care with patient/family maintaining control
- Referrals and admissions 24-hours a day, 7-days a week
- Advanced staff certification
- Certified wound care nurse
- Certified dementia practitioner
- Encouragement for patients’ physician to be attending physician
- Onsite referral coordination
- Heartland clinicians sent to the Emergency Department to meet patients who have gone to the hospital
- We Honor Veterans
- Vigil Volunteers for patients at end-of-life
- Home IV therapy
- Pet therapy
- Music therapy
- Massage therapy
- Alternative therapies
- Making Choices guide for end-of-life choices
- Memorial services
Dr. James E. Thill - Medical Director
- Credentials: MD
- Residency: City of Faith Medical and Research Center
- Medical School: Oral Roberts University, School of Medicine
- Medical Specialty: Hospice and Palliative Care
- Other Affiliations: American Board of Family Members
Dr. Bruce Herman - Team Physician
- Credentials: MD
- Started Practicing: 1977
- Medical School: Medical College of Wisconsin, School of Medicine
- Medical Specialty: Internal Medicine, Geriatrics, Hospice and Palliative Care
- Practice or Clinic: Ozaukee Medical Group
- Other Affiliations: Aurora Medical Center Grafton, Columbia St. Marys Hospital Ozaukee
Sarah Wheeler - Nurse Practitioner
- Credentials: RN, MSN, GNP-BC, APNP, ACHNP
- Started in Hospice: 2011
- Academic Degree, School: Masters of Science in Nursing - Marquette University (Milwaukee, WI); Graduate Degree in Education - Medical College of Wisconsin
- Other Affiliations: SEWGAPNA (Southeast Wisconsin Geriatric Advanced Practice Nurse Association), HOPE of Wisconsin (Hospice Organization and Palliative Experts)
Maureen Nixon - Nurse Practitioner
- Credentials: AGNP-BC
- Started in Hospice: 2013
- Academic Degree, School: MSN - Walden University
- Medical Specialty: Adult Gerontology
Jennifer Mehrstedt - Director of Professional Services
- Credentials: RN, BSN
- Started in Hospice: 2013
- Academic Degree, School: BSN - Bryant & Stratton College
Michael Bangs - Administrator
- Credentials: BSW
- Started in Hospice: 2016
- College Attended: University of Wisconsin Milwaukee School of Welfare
- Other Affiliations: CALA
Heartland Hospice Care Team
- Patients and families
- Heartland’s Medical Director
- The patient’s physician
- Registered nurses
- Hospice aides
- Social worker
- Spiritual care coordinator
- Bereavement counselor
- Physical, occupational and speech/language therapists
The Heartland Experience means trying to exceed your expectations in every way. As part of our commitment to excellence, we measure the level of our service so that we can enrich the lives of our patients and the people who love them by delivering services that best meet their needs.*
Pain Controlled Within 48 Hours:
Heartland Hospice 80%
National Average 55%
*Source: Strategic Healthcare Programs (SHP) 2016
Partners in Care
Heartland Hospice collaborates with a variety of health care partners and organizations within our community to help improve access to high-quality care. Some of our Partners in Care include:
Other Health Care Providers
Every day, our hospice agencies receive recognition for the care they have provided to a patient or someone’s loved one. Many tell us they don't have the words to describe their appreciation and simply say "Thanks." Below are comments and letters from patients and family members sharing their gratitude.
"I signed my husband on service back in September and had excellent help from all the nurses and aides that assisted us in the months that followed. Our social worker, as well. Being the primary caregiver, I certainly became overwhelmed at times, but the team from Heartland Hospice was always here for support, as well as keeping my husband well cared for. My husband passed away at home in April and that is exactly where I intended that to happen if it was in my powers to be. You get a 100% review from me and my family. The team not only were concerned for my husband, but they were also assuring that I was in control and I was doing all in my power to maintain dignity for him. Do I miss him? You bet. Would I do it all over? Yes! God bless Heartland Hospice and all who work in this field of healthcare."
Wife of a hospice patient, Milwaukee, WI
“While my mom's journey was emotional, it was a wonderful experience and we all want to thank the staff at Heartland for helping to make her journey pain free and comfortable.” To read more, click here.
Annette, daughter-in-law of a hospice patient, Milwaukee, WI
Amy, Administrator, received a wonderful letter from a patient expressing gratitude for the care she is receiving.
To read excerpts from the letter, click here.
“I am continually impressed by the quality care that Heartland Hospice provides. When I call upon them I know they will arrive in a timely manner, and spend the time with patients and families to assure all needs are addressed; but most importantly I know when I discharge my patients with Heartland Hospice they are in good hands. The passion and professionalism of the Heartland Hospice nurses and other providers is extraordinary. They are a true example of what a hospice should be!"
-Kristin Starr, Palliative APRN, St. Joseph Medical Center, Kansas City, MO
“On behalf of my family, I wanted to say thank you for all that you and your staff did for us while my aunt was a patient of Heartland. Your team definitely showed that they are a shining jewel in the crown of Heartland Hospice.”
-Family member of hospice patient, Baltimore, MD
“Six months ago, Andrea walked through my door and my life was forever changed. I was so frightened to know that hospice would now be taking care of my dad.”
-Family member of hospice patient, Northern Virginia
At Heartland, we consider our involvement with patients a sacred opportunity and a privilege to be in their lives. We depend on our hospice volunteers to help us provide the love, respect and care our patients and their families need.
Our volunteers help enrich the lives of our patients by:
- Running errands for patients and families
- Staying with patients so family members can get a much-needed rest
- Reading or providing a comforting touch
- Playing or singing soothing music to patients
- Keeping vigil with patients in their final hours
- Helping with office support tasks at the agency
- Providing a friendly visit to lift a patient's spirits
- Providing special veteran volunteer support to patients who are veterans
To become a hospice volunteer, click here to download and complete the volunteer form on a desktop computer. Once completed, save and email the form to our Heartland staff (if you use Microsoft Outlook, please use this link instead). You may also print out the form and complete it by hand, then fax it to 414-944-2090 or mail it to our agency. We will contact you once the form has been received. If you have any questions, please call our agency.
Join Our Team
Become a part of our team and join us on our mission to provide patient-centered care. Click on the link below for a list of current openings at this location. You can also register for our job alerts and get up-to-the minute notifications of positions as they become available.Join Our Team