What Makes Us Different
- You don’t have to give up hope to get hospice. Many patients and the loved ones who care for them say they wish hospice care had started sooner.
- Treatments that provide our patients with comfort and relief may continue, uninterrupted, even after we’ve started providing hospice care.
- We don’t require that advance directive choices be made such as a “do not resuscitate” order (DNR) or living will to begin providing hospice care.
- When you need care, we’re ready to provide it. Any day of the year, any time of the day, we can initiate hospice care for you or your loved one.
- Our heart stretches across the nation. At any given time, Heartland provides comforting care to thousands of patients in communities and neighborhoods across the country.
- We’re fully accredited by Accreditation Commission for Health Care (ACHC). We’ve chosen to follow their additional requirements in order to help advance the highest standards of community-based care.
- Wherever you are in your health care journey, we’re there to meet you.
- As mutual care providers, we work closely with your health care professionals to make sure specific protocols are followed closely.
In Addition We Offer
- We Honor Veterans
- Vigil Volunteers
- Memorial Services
- Bereavement Camp for Kids
- ACHC Accredited
Dr. Antonio Moran, Jr. - Team Physician
- Credentials: MD, FACP
- Fellowship: National Cancer Institute - Bethesda, MD, Medical University of South Carolina - Charleston, SC
- Residency: Mount Carmel Mercy Hospital - Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- Medical School: World University School of Medicine - Dominican Republic
- Other: Commissioned Officer, Captain - Army Medical Department
- Medical Specialty: Internal Medicine, Subspecialty Medical Oncology
- Practice or Clinic: Southeast Georgia Physician Associates: Hematology and Oncology
- Other Affiliations: American Medical Society, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American College of Physicians, Medical Association of Georgia, Georgia Society of Clinical Oncology, Glynn County Medical Society
Dr. Enrique J. Fernandez - Team Physician
- Credentials: MD
- Fellowship: S.U.N.Y. Health Science Center - Brooklyn, NY
- Residency: Monmouth Medical Center - Long Branch, NJ
- Medical School: Universidad Central del Este - Dominican Republic
- Medical Specialty: Neurology with special qualifications in Child Neurology
- Practice or Clinic: Southeast Georgia Physician Associates: Neurosciences
- Other Affiliations: Clinical Assistant Professor at the Medical College of Georgia - Department of Neurology
Dr. Maged Abdelmalik - Team Physician
- Credentials: MD
- Fellowship: Harbor/UCLA Medical Center - Torrance, CA
- Residency: Lincoln Medical Center - Bronx, NY
- Medical School: Ain Shams School of Medicine - Cairo, Egypt
- Medical Specialty: Internal Medicine
- Practice or Clinic: Peach Care, LLC
- Other Affiliations: American Medical Association, American College of Physicians, Renal Physicians Association
Dr. Kevin Keown - Team Physician
- Credentials: MD
- Fellowship: Rural Kentucky practice
- Residency: Good Samaritan Hospital - Phoenix, AZ
- Medical School: University of Kentucky
- Practice or Clinic: Wayne Family Practice
- Other Affiliations: American Board of Family Practice - Diplomate, American Academy of Family Physicians - Fellow, Rayonier Pulp Mill - Medical Director, Medical College of Georgia - Associate Professor of Family Medicine
Kerry Moore - Nurse Practitioner
- Credentials: ANRP
- Academic Degree, School: American Nurses Credentialing Center, University of Rochester
Shannon Keith - Director of Professional Services
- Credentials: RN
- Academic Degree, School: ASN, College of Coastal Georgia
- Other Affiliations: Certified Cardiac Telemetry
Marie Brewer - Administrator
- Credentials: RN, LNC
- Other Affiliations: Georgia Palliative Care Association, National Association for Home Care and Hospice, SGHS Cancer Committee
Heartland Hospice Care Team
- Patients and families
- Heartland’s Medical Director
- The patient’s physician
- Registered nurses
- Hospice aides
- Social worker
- Spiritual care coordinator
- Bereavement counselor
- Physical, occupational and speech/language therapists
The Heartland Experience means trying to exceed your expectations in every way. As part of our commitment to excellence, we measure the level of our service so that we can enrich the lives of our patients and the people who love them by delivering services that best meet their needs.
Every day, our hospice agencies receive recognition for the care they have provided to a patient or someone’s loved one. Many tell us they don't have the words to describe their appreciation and simply say "Thanks." Below are comments and letters from patients and family members sharing their gratitude.
How can we explain the gift of hospice? People are often hesitant about their loved ones receiving hospice care. Susan, Hospital Liaison in Southeast Georgia, tells how she recently used the Heartland video to help explain hospice in a particularly challenging situation.
To read more, click here.
“I am continually impressed by the quality care that Heartland Hospice provides. When I call upon them I know they will arrive in a timely manner, and spend the time with patients and families to assure all needs are addressed; but most importantly I know when I discharge my patients with Heartland Hospice they are in good hands. The passion and professionalism of the Heartland Hospice nurses and other providers is extraordinary. They are a true example of what a hospice should be!"
-Kristin Starr, Palliative APRN, St. Joseph Medical Center, Kansas City, MO
“On behalf of my family, I wanted to say thank you for all that you and your staff did for us while my aunt was a patient of Heartland. Your team definitely showed that they are a shining jewel in the crown of Heartland Hospice.”
-Family member of hospice patient, Baltimore, MD
“Six months ago, Andrea walked through my door and my life was forever changed. I was so frightened to know that hospice would now be taking care of my dad.”
-Family member of hospice patient, Northern Virginia
At Heartland, we consider our involvement with patients a sacred opportunity and a privilege to be in their lives. We depend on our hospice volunteers to help us provide the love, respect and care our patients and their families need.
Our volunteers help enrich the lives of our patients by:
- Running errands for patients and families
- Staying with patients so family members can get a much-needed rest
- Reading or providing a comforting touch
- Playing or singing soothing music to patients
- Keeping vigil with patients in their final hours
- Helping with office support tasks at the agency
- Providing a friendly visit to lift a patient's spirits
- Providing special veteran volunteer support to patients who are veterans
To become a hospice volunteer, click here to download and complete the volunteer form on a desktop computer. Once completed, save and email the form to our Heartland staff (if you use Microsoft Outlook, please use this link instead). You may also print out the form and complete it by hand, then fax it to 912-261-8931 or mail it to our agency. We will contact you once the form has been received. If you have any questions, please call our agency.