What Makes Us Different
- You don’t have to give up hope to get hospice. Many patients and the loved ones who care for them say they wish hospice care had started sooner.
- Treatments that provide our patients with comfort and relief may continue, uninterrupted, even after we’ve started providing hospice care.
- We don’t require that advance directive choices be made such as a “do not resuscitate” order (DNR) or living will to begin providing hospice care.
- When you need care, we’re ready to provide it. Any day of the year, any time of the day, we can initiate hospice care for you or your loved one.
- Our heart stretches across the nation. At any given time, Heartland provides comforting care to thousands of patients in communities and neighborhoods across the country.
- We’re fully accredited by Accreditation Commission for Health Care (ACHC). We’ve chosen to follow their additional requirements in order to help advance the highest standards of community-based care.
- Wherever you are in your health care journey, we’re there to meet you.
- As mutual care providers, we work closely with your health care professionals to make sure specific protocols are followed closely.
In Addition We Offer
- Pet Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Alternative Therapies
- Vigil Volunteers
- Memorial Services
- Home IV Therapy for Comfort
Dr. Edward Walker - Medical Director
- Residency: St. Vincents Hospital and Medical Center of New York
- Medical School: University of South Florida College of Medicine
- Medical Specialty: Internal Medicine, Geriatric Medicine
- Practice or Clinic: Private Practice at Holy Cross
- Other Affiliations: Hospice and Palliative Medicine
Dr. Manuel A. Robles - Team Physician
- Residency: Hospital Clinicas (University Americas)
- Medical School: University Autonomous of Mexico, University of Costa Rica
- Medical Specialty: Internal Medicine
- Practice or Clinic: 21st Century Oncology - Broward
Dr. Simone Van-Horne - Team Physician
- Credentials: MD
- Started Practicing: 1999
- Fellowship: Pennsylvania Hospital
- Residency: Pennsylvania Hospital
- Medical School: University of the West Indies
- Medical Specialty: Internal Medicine
- Other Affiliations: IPC Healthcare, American Medical Association, University Hospital, Hillcrest Nursing and Rehab, Wilton Manors
Roberto Gimenez - Nurse Practitioner
- Credentials: ARNP
- Started in Hospice: 2012
- Academic Degree: Masters of Science in Nursing
- Medical Specialty: Psychology, Alzheimer's
- Other Affiliations: American Association of Nurse Practitioners, American Nurses Association, American Nurses Credentialing Center, Sigma Theta Tau
Melissa Jahorie - Director of Professional Services
- Credentials: RN, MSN, MBA, BSN
- Academic Degree, School: BSN, MSN, MBA, HCA, University of Phoenix
Heartland Hospice Care Team
- Patients and families
- Heartland’s Medical Director
- The patient’s physician
- Registered nurses
- Hospice aides
- Social worker
- Spiritual care coordinator
- Bereavement counselor
- Physical, occupational and speech/language therapists
The Heartland Experience means trying to exceed your expectations in every way. As part of our commitment to excellence, we measure the level of our service so that we can enrich the lives of our patients and the people who love them by delivering services that best meet their needs.*
Shortness of Breath Controlled Within 48 Hours:
Heartland Hospice 91.4%
Florida Average 77.4%
National Average 57%
Pain Controlled Within 48 Hours:
Heartland Hospice 91%
Florida Average 52.6%
National Average 54.8%
Anxiety Controlled Within 48 Hours:
Heartland Hospice 89.8%
Florida Average 57%
National Average 58.4%
*Source: Strategic Healthcare Programs (SHP) 2016
Partners in Care
Heartland Hospice collaborates with a variety of health care partners and organizations within our community to help improve access to high-quality care. Some of our Partners in Care include:
Every day, our hospice agencies receive recognition for the care they have provided to a patient or someone’s loved one. Many tell us they don't have the words to describe their appreciation and simply say "Thanks." Below are comments and letters from patients and family members sharing their gratitude.
"Dear Heartland Hospice - I am writing on behalf of Junette, Kym, Irma and Fay. I wanted to let you know that Junette, Kym, Irma and Fay have been immensely helpful in organizing needs for my Mom, Rita. Junette has been very patient in working with me to accomplish times and any supplies needed. Her patience and kindness has helped ease my concerns. She is caring and when I speak to her, she makes a difference in the way I am feeling. The nurse, Kym, is very sweet, helpful, caring, patient, receptive and listens. I am very happy to have her as a part of my Mom's team of care. Although Irma had only filled in for a little bit, she was fabulous and showed how much she cared. Fay comes to give my Mom a bath while a smile on her face and keeps my Mom smelling great. Thank you to the team!"
-Jill, Daughter of a hospice patient, Broward, FL
"Dear Heartland Hospice - My husband was one of your patients and I would like to express my gratitude and send a heartfelt 'Thank You' to your staff for caring so deeply for my husband. Everyone was always in a good mood, cheerful and extremely attentive to his needs. I can’t thank you enough!”
-Family member of a hospice patient, Broward, FL
"Every one of your staff members makes me feel worthy and vital. They are warm, comforting, attentive and always take my feelings into consideration. They explain exactly what they are doing while making me feel safe and important. I find myself looking forward to the spa-like visits!"
-Hospice patient, Broward, FL
"My Heartland nurse goes above and beyond to get anything and everything that my family and I need. She answers our telephone calls immediately. During a crisis, she got on a conference call with the doctor immediately and obtained medicine to relieve my difficulties. I am very thankful to have her as my nurse."
-Hospice patient, Broward, FL
"I wish to express my sincerest thanks for the excellent care provided by Heartland Hospice for my Mom. Her final days were peaceful and comfortable due to your staff’s care. During the process, I personally met several of these staff members. They not only kept me fully up-to-date on Mom’s condition, but did so with genuine compassion for her and our family."
-Daughter of a hospice patient, Broward, FL
At Heartland, we consider our involvement with patients a sacred opportunity and a privilege to be in their lives. We depend on our hospice volunteers to help us provide the love, respect and care our patients and their families need.
Our volunteers help enrich the lives of our patients by:
- Running errands for patients and families
- Staying with patients so family members can get a much-needed rest
- Reading or providing a comforting touch
- Playing or singing soothing music to patients
- Keeping vigil with patients in their final hours
- Helping with office support tasks at the agency
- Providing a friendly visit to lift a patient's spirits
- Providing special veteran volunteer support to patients who are veterans
To become a hospice volunteer, click here to download and complete the volunteer form on a desktop computer. Once completed, save and email the form to our Heartland staff (if you use Microsoft Outlook, please use this link instead). You may also print out the form and complete it by hand, then fax it to 954-467-7087 or mail it to our agency. We will contact you once the form has been received. If you have any questions, please call our agency.
Join Our Team
Become a part of our team and join us on our mission to provide patient-centered care. Click on the link below for a list of current openings at this location. You can also register for our job alerts and get up-to-the minute notifications of positions as they become available.Join Our Team